Kill Point – Betcha Can’t Find the MisMatch!

Digital Image

Here is a continuation of the job I did yesterday…. When you hang paper going around a room, the last strip of wallpaper bumps up against the first strip you hung, and in this spot, usually a corner, the pattern virtually never matches. So I plot to put this in the least noticeable location, usually in a corner behind a door.

But in this dining room, all four corners were very noticeable, and I was destined to end up with a mis-matched corner 8′ tall. Even with this somewhat blurry and muted pattern, I didn’t think it would look very good, and wanted the homeowners to have a prettier dining room than that.

So what I did was to paper the wall to the right of the window, and then papered the narrow section between the window and the corner, making sure to match the pattern in the corner. But the section between the window and the corner, I stopped the paper a few inches above the height of the window, and left the area over the window unpapered.

Then I proceeded around the room, ending up moving from left to right over the window, to meet the point where I had started, in that corner you see in the first photo. At this point, the pattern did not match in the corner – but only for one foot, from the ceiling down to where the narrow strip of paper between the window and corner stopped. At this junction, the pattern also did not match horizontally, from the corner to the window. So we have two one-foot intersections of mis-match, one vertical and one horizontal.

The vertical one, I left alone. Not very noticeable.

The horizontal one wasn’t very noticeable, either, thanks to the pattern. But I wanted it to look better. So I did what we call a “double cut,” which is a fancy term for a splice. After first protecting the face of the bottom sheet of wallpaper with a piece of waxed paper, and then padding the wall to protect it from being cut into (which could cause lifting of the primer and paint and then curling wallpaper seams), I took a new, sharp razor blade and carefully cut around parts of the design, to meld the pattern together.

If you look closely, you can see that I cut along the large leaf motif and then along some berry looking things, from the corner arching to the left, stopping at the upper corner of the window. Look carefully, and you’ll notice that the upward-swooping large leaf on the left is a little shorter than its companion on the right.

I removed the excess wallpaper, the waxed paper, and the padding, and smoothed the spliced pieces into place. It doesn’t match, but it sure looks good.

In fact, if I hadn’t pointed out exactly where the mis-match is, I’ll bet you never would have caught it! And it definitely beats an 8′ vertical length of mis-matched pattern

Advertisements

Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: