Patch Job Today

Digital Image

Digital Image

Digital Image

Digital Image

Digital Image

Digital Image

Digital Image

Digital Image

This is on the landing on a staircase, which someone fell down after a little too much holiday cheer 😉 , and put a sizeable hole in the wall. The homeowners had a guy come replace the damaged Sheetrock and tape and float. He supposedly used 20-minute mud, which is supposed to dry quickly. But when I showed up the next day, the patch was still very wet, as you can see in the top photo. The grey color means it’s still wet – there are also shadows from the banister in the photo.

For some reason, this patch took a long time to dry – several days. I went back about a month later, and it was ready to go. In the second photo, you can see that the compound he used is not quite smooth. His 20-minute mud is harder to sand than the regular mud I use (it’s really called joint compound). So I skim-floated a very thin layer over the top, dried it quickly with a heat gun, sanded smooth, primed with Gardz, dried that with the heat gun, and then did the wallpaper patch.

It would have been less noticeable to redo the whole strip, from floor to ceiling, but there was not enough left over wallpaper. So I trimmed the top of the paper at a 90* angle / horizontal, and trimmed off the 1/4″ narrow strip of white along one side, then appliquéd the piece over the patched area.

One issue is that wallpaper absorbs moisture from the paste and expands, and my patch expanded less than the original piece. That means that the stripes did not line up perfectly. Lining the tan stripe up on the left with the tan stripe on the paper below caused the stripes to the right to be just a tad off, but it was noticeable. So we decided to line up the center stripes, which meant that the stripes on either side were still off, but the difference was divided between the right and left sides, so it was less noticeable.

The other thing is that, because the patch was appliquéd over the top of the original paper, there is a slight difference in height, and you can see the top edge of the patch (last photo). This will minimize a little as the paper dries and shrinks.

It’s good that the homeowners saved their left over wallpaper, so this unexpected accident could be repaired. Much more economical than replacing all the wallpaper in the entry and hall, upstairs and down.

Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: