Hiding a Mis-Matched Pattern

Digital ImageDigital ImageHere is some detailed explanation from the girls’ bedroom I wrote about yesterday. The idea was to create a McKenzie Childs look. There is a loud blue & pink floral pattern at the top, and a leopard print at the bottom, which will be divided by a 4″ wide black & white checkered ribbon. I prepped the room and hung the bottom of the room the first day.

When I arrived at work the next day, expecting to paper the top 2/3 of the walls with the blue floral, I was told that the older girl really liked the leopard print, and she wanted to see more of it in the room. Gee, why can’t you tell me this while I was working with the leopard print?! Working retroactively the next day to add more of the print was a bit of a challenge – but I’m usually up for a challenge, and it was pretty fun figuring out how to get the most punch with the 27 running of paper (at 20.5″ wide) I had left from yesterday.

Running an extra strip around the room just above the existing leopard print was out, because 1.) there was no way to match the pattern, 2.) it would add too much height to the bottom part of the wall, throwing the balance and proportion off, 3.) there wasn’t enough paper left, anyway.

Another option was to paper the upper half of one of the walls. I nixed this, too, because 1.) that wall was pretty solid and the dark paper would look dark and overwhelming, 2.) a flat-screen TV was to hang on that wall, and that dark mass, plus the dark paper, again, would have been too overwhelming.

So I opted to wallpaper the window wall (sorry there’s no picture), which had three windows, with about a foot of wall space between them. This was the best option because 1.) the large windows would break up the “heaviness” of the dark paper, 2.) the windows looked out onto beautiful trees, combining with the jungle-y paper for a very nature-like look, 3.) putting the blue floral paper around the windows would have been pretty taxing, because of the way the strips and seams fell among the sections of window – the leopard print could be mis-matched in certain areas without being noticeable, which made papering around the windows MUCH simpler than the floral. Besides, there would be curtains and rods hiding much of the mis-match.

Here’s how I hid the pattern mis-match: I railroaded the wallpaper (ran it horizontally. with no seams) across the top of the windows, from wall to wall. This gave me enough length to wrap the undersides of the three window casings. Now all that was left was the four vertical sections of wall around the sides of the windows.

To eliminate seams, I wanted to run the strips vertically. This means there was no way to match the vertical strips with the horizontal strip above them. But a leopard print is pretty forgiving, especially from a distance.

To minimize the mis-match, I cut around various spots at the top of each strip. See the top photo at left. As you can see in the second photo, once the vertical strip is overlapped on top of the existing strip, you can hardly notice that it doesn’t match perfectly. Add a little distance, some white curtains, a curtain rod, and a whole lot of flashy furniture around the room, and no one is going to give these leopard spots a second look.

This little trick enabled me to paper that wall with the 27 running feet left on the roll from yesterday, plus I used two 6′ long scraps that were 10″ and 4″ wide, also left from yesterday. All that’s left is an 18″ long piece. Whew!

The girl was VERY happy with the completed wallpaper job, and with her leopard print impact wall.

Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: